Today was the day. We had a few dry runs last week to figure out some technology issues. We figured we had as much figured out as we could, and we needed to give it a go for real. David and I planned to do a lesson where the students would work in groups to create a list of characteristics they believed would be used to describe More Developed Countries (MDCs), Newly Industrialized Countries (NICs), and Less Developed Countries (LDCs). We figured this would be a great way to have the class interact with each other in a non-threatening way because neither group had been exposed to these concepts in class. This activity was created as a type of pre-assessment for the class.
We don't have exactly the same bell schedule, so that will definitely pose a few issues as we move forward in the year, but I figured a way to get my students working on something for the 5 minutes before David's day began. Once his class started, we got going with the lesson. The students were in groups on their respective campuses figuring out what qualities they believed would be used for MDCs, NICs, and LDCs. After 5 minutes, we came back as a whole class to discuss it. Both David and I were at the board collecting the answers from both campuses. I would have my groups share out for the students at Jones to hear, and we would write the answers on the board. David would have his students then share out what they had come up with for the qualities of the types of countries.
There are still some kinks to figure out (sound being the biggest one to overcome), but I can not even begin to say how happy I was with the overall lesson and set up. I am even more excited now about the future of the program. I know there will be days that I will say it was a complete disaster, but that happens in my classroom sometimes as well.
We've scheduled our next session for Friday. I will be updating the blog after every installment (well, at least that's my goal here).
Until next time...